In his inaugural address, Mayor Sylvestor Turner announced his administration's goal that potholes reported to the City's 311 Help and Information line will be assessed and addressed by the following business day.
During the week since that announcement, pothole reports to Houston's 311 have exploded from a previous daily average of 22 pothole reports to more than 100 pothole reports a day. Specifically, between January 4, 2016, and midnight on January 11, 2016, a total of 550 pothole service requests were received by Houston's 311. The City has achieved an impressive one-day repair rate of nearly ninety-six percent for potholes reported to the City's 311 Help and Information line. This means that 316 were repaired by the next business day. It's important to note and the rest of the 550 were not potholes: they were either duplicate requests, posed no safety hazard, or fell under responsibility of the Texas Department of Transportation or another agency.
In addition, during that same span of time, Houston proactively assessed and repaired 1,246 additional potholes that hadn't been reported through their 311.
Many of these potholes were reported through SeeClickFix, the citizen reporting tool Houston's 311 provides for citizens. Between January 4th and January 11th, 222 potholes were reported to Houston 311 through SeeClickFix. Additionally, since January 11th, 248 potholes have already been reported to Houston's 311 through SeeClickFix.
These are a lot of numbers, so here's a quick breakdown of the numbers:
- On average, Houston's 311 is receiving 100 pothole reports per day
- In one week, Houston's 311 received 550 pothole reports.
- In one week, 316 of 550 potholes were fixed in one day (a percentage of the 550 reports were duplicates or belong to the Texas Department of Transportation).
- In one week, 96% of pothole reports into Houston's 311 were repaired in one day.
- In addition, in one week, the City of Houston fixed 1,246 additional potholes not reported through Houston's 311.
- In one week, 222 potholes were reported through SeeClickFix into Houston's 311.
- In one week, of the 222 potholes that were reported through SeeClickFix into Houston's 311, 94 pothole reports were "Acknowledged" by the City and 92 were fixed and "Closed" by the City.
- Since January 11th, almost 250 additional potholes have been reported on SeeClickFix to Houston's 311 (113 acknowledged and 136 issues closed).
- Between January 4th—January 11th, they have had 780 downloads of the Houston 311 app in the iTunes App Store (a 900% increase from the previous 11 days).
- Between January 4th—January 11th, they have had 539 downloads of the Houston 311 app for Android.